Randall is the head of litigation practice at S|U|M IP. He has extensive first-chair trial experience. Randall has been lead trial counsel on over 50 lawsuits involving a wide-variety of intellectual property issues for companies such as Owens Corning, Home Depot, Cardiac Science, Itron and Liberty Diversified Industries.
Randall also focuses his practice on assisting clients with implementing domestic and international patenting strategies, including setting up and chairing in-house patent committees, advising on and implementing design-arounds, and working with engineers to focus inventions for patenting in light of business goals and competitor's patent coverage. He has managed substantial national and international Patent, Trademark, and Copyright portfolios.
Randall has evaluated IP portfolios in a variety of settings and for a variety of goals, including licensing, M&A, and litigation. He advises generally on inbound and outbound licensing and portfolio pruning strategies.
Prior to founding S|U|M IP, Randall was managing partner, senior partner and head of litigation at one of Minnesota's largest intellectual property boutique law firms, Patterson Thuente Skaar & Christensen.
Randall is regularly recognized as a Minnesota SuperLawyer. Randall is also a past Chair of the Litigation Section of the Minnesota Intellectual Property Lawyers Association.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, B.A. Philosophy, University of Minnesota
- J.D., Hamline University ('84)
- State of Minnesota
- State of Georgia
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit
- 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, District of MN
- U.S. District Court, Western District of MI
- U.S. District Court, Western District of WI
- U.S. District Court, Central District of IL
- U.S. District Court, District of CO
- Current and Past Pro hac vice admissions: AZ, SD, CA, TN, FL, IL, IA, WA, PA, MO, TX, UT, and MA